Gatherings of people to worship in South Dedham began as early as 1717. The South Dedham parish was created by the General Court in 1730, and the church was founded in 1736.
During its early history, several buildings in different locations served the parishioners of the Congregational Church. The fourth meetinghouse (pictured above) was dedicated in 1884 on the corner of Walpole and Winter Street. In 1895, the name changed officially to First Congregational Church.
The present First Congregational Church complex stands on Winter Street just across from the older church. It was dedicated in 1961.
In May of 2004, this congregation voted to adopt the guidelines, as outlined by The United Church of Christ, to become an Open & Affirming congregation. This is commonly referred to as “ONA.”
The church celebrated its 275th anniversary in 2011.